Sep 24, 2008

Cloud Computing & ISP

In my earlier blog, i talked about the impact of cloud computing on the sw/hw/network infrastructure and need for a new architecture. I got lot's of good feedback for it...

This one is about the cloud computing impact on ISP's.

I recently went to my favorite Peet's in Cupertino and after i made the payment for coffee, i got a small paper. As usual I told them that no need for receipt. But cashier told me, "no sir, it's for your 2 hr free internet -password for wifi". It was handy even though i used it for 15mins before my friend came...Easy to get connected.

Then, few days back on the gym i was watching TV. If i remember correctly, I think I saw the ATT Internet advertisement and it talked about how their internet service is "mobile". You can use it anywhere... I really like it.

Then happened an interesting situation for me. My wife asked me to buy some school uniform from a speciality store in Saratoga and I left my office little earlier in the evening. Only after I drove out of the office campus, i realised that i need the exact address in Saratoga downturn. Even though, i been to several times, can't remember it. Then, I have to drive back to office campus and open my laptop in parking lot to use the wifi to find out the address.

The above incident brought the memories of ATT Internet advertisement & Free Peet's internet.

Now, I am now wondering why should I pay close to $45.00/month for Comcast which offers internet only to my home? Why can't i take my internet with me?

The cloud applications are now part of our life - both from personal(consumer) perspective & business(employee) perspective. The ISP has to go mobile. It can't be just physically attached to a place.

I am one of the early customers of cable- @Home, ATT and Comcast. I am now seriously wondering why can't subscribe to some thing like ATT so that i can be connected all the time!

1 Comments:

At 10/02/2008 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Uday,

I think it is very important for the ISPs to go mobile as the users start to use more and more Cloud computing

This is specially important for providing persistent storage through the cloud

Ankur Sahai
ankur_adobe@yahoo.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home